Family Drugs Pharmacy Medical Supplies

Medical Supplies

In addition to prescription medicines, Family Drug Pharmacy sells vitamins, cold medicine and supplies for bone health and diabetes. Family Drug Pharmacy can assist patient’s in determining Medicare-coverage for medically-necessary durable medical equipment and coordinate the ordering of durable medical equipment related to the patient’s prescribed care plan.

Durable medical equipment is reusable medical equipment such as walkers, wheelchairs, or hospital beds.  Medicare covers durable medical equipment (DME) that the patient’s physician prescribes for use in the patient’s home.

Durable Medical Equipment is
  • Durable (long lasting).
  • Used for a medical reason.
  • Used in the home.
Medicare Coverage Includes the Following
  • Air-fluidized beds
  • Blood glucose monitors
  • Bone growth stimulators
  • Canes (white canes for the blind are not covered)
  • Commode chairs
  • Crutches
  • Home oxygen equipment and supplies
  • Hospital beds
  • Infusion pumps
  • Lymphedema pumps/pneumatic compression devices
  • Nebulizers (and some medicines used in nebulizers if considered reasonable and necessary)
  • Ostomy supplies
  • Patient lifts (to lift patient from bed or wheelchair by manual or power operation)
  • Suction pumps
  • Therapeutic shoes or inserts or patients with diabetes
  • Traction equipment
  • Ventilators or respiratory assist devices
  • Walkers
  • Wheelchairs

Generally, patient’s pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount after the Medicare Part B deductible for the year.  Medicare then pays for the other 80%.  The amount the patient pays may vary because Medicare pays for different kinds of durable medical equipment in different ways.  Depending on the medical equipment needed, Medicare may buy the item or rent the item.

Residential Home Health and Family Drug Pharmacy will assist patient’s in determining Medicare-coverage for medically-necessary durable medical equipment and coordinate the ordering of durable medical equipment related to the patient’s prescribed care plan.

Medical Equipment Not Covered By Medicare
  • Raised toilet seat
  • Shower/commode wheelchair
  • Grab bars and other safety equipment for the bathroom

Although the above items are not covered by Medicare, Family Drug Pharmacy does provide special pricing for these commonly needed items.

Pharmacy

Prescription coverage is available through Medicare Advantage Plans and Medicare Part D.  Family Drug Pharmacy accepts both plans.  To find out if a prescription medication is covered by Medicare, call Family Drug Pharmacy at (313) 441-6666.